Friday, April 20, 2012

Leather Tribal Necklace DIY

I've decided to get my butt in gear and try to do at least one DIY a month, hopefully this will help me get through my never ending list.

This leather necklace is one I've been meaning to do for a while, great timing for spring!


You will need:

Leather - I had this deer leather from a leather shop, but you can get bags of scrap leather from craft stores for cheap and usually with a variety of colors.
Leather needle - these are special and have an extra sharp tip to cut through the leather.
Beads - I actually found this necklace at VV for a buck, but I've seen great beads even at the dollar store these days.
Scissors
Elastic


Decide on the length you want the pieces of leather, I just eye balled it not wanting my pieces to be too perfect and then cut the pieces making them wider at the top where you will thread the elastic through. I  also used my scissors to make my holes slightly bigger after making a hole with my leather needle since my elastic was bigger than my needle and couldn't be threaded through the needle! A minor oversight I won't forget in the future....


Choose your pattern - I kept it simple and alternated the leather and beads. I think using a couple different colors and then alternating the lengths would also be fun.


Once I had enough of the leather strings I just kept threading the beads. I checked the amount of leather strings I wanted by simply holding up the necklace in front of the mirror and checking how it laid.


And Ta Daaa!!!!

I did go around the necklace and trim a couple of the leather pieces once completed, the center of the necklace strings are slightly longer. 

I think I'll do a bracelet variation to go with my awesome new necklace!


Have a great weekend!

12 comments:

  1. This looks great, I like making things!! Looks lovely on you!! Happy weekend :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats an amazing DIY! I loved the result :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Glad you got your butt in gear :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out nicely...may have to raid the husband's leather stash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great idea - I adore your blog!

    xo

    http://girlonbroughtonstreet.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good idea! This looks really cool :)
    xo
    madisonsassortment.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice idea, thanks for sharing!
    Visit my blog, there are some new fashion drawings made by my on it, and I'll be happy to know your opinion!
    XOXO
    Ylenia

    ReplyDelete
  8. que collar más original!!! Me gusta.
    muchas gracias por tu comentario. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This DIY is really cool. The result turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they make me all warm and fuzzy!