Friday, March 30, 2012

Mad Men Dress Challenge: Betty Draper

I chose this amazing Pucci esque maxi dress for the Mad Men Dress Challenge. I've been making myself use my stash of fabric for all projects, so I used the below fabric instead of buying yet more fabric and I can't even express how much I love how this dress turned out! I've just finished it in time for the deadline but as a result there was no daylight left for photos so I'll be wearing this dress right away so I can get some real photos of it! 




Front

Front close up

Back

To make this dress I used my basic bodice sloper and then drew in the style lines from the photos shown above. If you don't have a basic bodice sloper you could take a fitted bodice pattern piece and do the same thing. For the skirt I got smart and measured how much fabric I had left and found I just had enough left for the skirt. I didn't make any pattern pieces for the skirt, I just measured the length I needed and used the width of the fabric to give me the fullness I was going for. I also lined the bodice to enclose all the seams and finished off the dress with an invisible side seam zipper.

Mad Men Challenge Blogger Button


9 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!! It turned out so fantastic...I need to make me one just like it...of course finding fantastic fabric like that will be the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! The addition of the blue bands really anchors the busy print. Very well done and perfectly in keeping with the inspiration piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that dress is dreamy!

    xxx
    www.ladyalamode.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, it turned out so nice. Can't wait to see you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is utterly lovely. You are well prepared for some serious poolside chic now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So gorgeous! I can't wait to see you in this outfit! I wish I could get into sewing, but I can barely sustain my knitting hobby (and then there's the whole blog thing...). You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thats so pretty...really makes me wish I could sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, she's a beauty! Can't wait to see what you rock it with hot mama! So 60's chic!

    Thanks for visiting and leaving awesome comments, hope to see you back soon!

    xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

    Haute Khuuture.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment, they make me all warm and fuzzy!